You can find everything you need to know about what we do below.
If you can’t find the information you need in our publication scheme, or elsewhere on the website, then you can make a request for information in line with Freedom of Information Act 2000, or Environmental Information Regulation 2004.
Who we are and what we do
- About Ordnance Survey – Find out more about what we do, who we are, our history, careers and stay up to date with our latest news.
- Roles, responsibilities and articles of association – Find all the information you need about our company status, responsibilities and how we work, including our Public Task.
- Companies House – Filing history for Ordnance Survey Ltd can be found at Companies House.
- Our Directors – Find out more about our decision-makers.
- Our boards, committees and governance groups.
- Travel directions to our head office.
What we spend and how
- Annual reports – Download our latest annual report and accounts. They include information on budgets, loans, capital programme and our financial statements.
- Corporate expenditure – We publish details of expenditure over £25,000, including costs, supplier and transaction information for the current year, by month and the past three years.
We are no longer required to publish details of expenditure for items over £500
- Allowances and expenses – Expenses for all OS staff for the current year and last three years are available. This covers accommodation, travel and subsistence.
- Pay and grading structures (PDF) – We are redefining our reward strategy. Our aim is to reward employees competitively based on their contributions to the overall success of the organisation. This pay and performance philosophy is underpinned by the following principles:
- External market
- Internal relativity
- Individual performance
More information on pay and awards features in our annual reports.
- Procurement and tendering procedures – Find out details on:
- Current procurement opportunities
- Archived contracts over £25K and their value (current year and last years)
- Procedures used for the acquisition of goods and services.
- List of main suppliers
Our priorities and how we are doing
We report annually to Parliament via our annual reports. These include further information on our priorities and performance, including our annual financial statement.
Download our latest annual report and accounts.
How we make decisions
Our Board of Directors is the main decision-making board for Ordnance Survey.
Our policies and procedures
- Our policies – See our policies on data protection, the environment, re-using public sector information and others.
- Recruiting and employing staff – Find out all you need to know about working with us, including current vacancies and the recruitment process.
- Making a complaint – See our complaints procedure, including complaints under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
- Data protection and Subject Access Requests – How we handle your personal information (find out via a Subject Access Request) and our compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Charging for requests of information – We may charge for requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
- Licensing – Discover what you can do with OS licensing.
Lists and registers
- Disclosure log – View responses to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act and Environment Information Regulation for the current year and the last three years.
- Gifts and hospitality – Download monthly information showing gifts and hospitality returns.
- Register of interests – Our interests include:
- Ordnance Survey Leisure Limited (wholly owned subsidiary).
- Ordnance Survey International Services Limited (wholly owned subsidiary).
- GeoPlace LLP – a limited liability partnership with Local Government Association, for the creation and maintenance of the National Address Gazetteer.
- PointX Limited – 50/50 joint ownership company with Landmark Information Group Ltd, creating and distributing points of interest data.
- Dennis Maps Limited – Ordnance Survey Limited is a shareholder of 25% of the issued share capital.
- Astigan Limited – joint venture between Ordnance, Survey Limited and joint investors.
- Place of deposit:
Ordnance Survey works with The National Archives (TNA) to ensure the appropriate deposit of documents and records with the relevant national archives, under the terms of the Public Records Act 1958 as amended by the Public Records Act 1967 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
We are also accredited by TNA as a designated distributed 'Place of Deposit' for annual digital copies of the National Geographical Database.
We also deposit copies of all of our published paper maps with the Legal Deposit Libraries under the terms of the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003 and deposit copies of published digital map data with the Legal Deposit Libraries under the Legal Deposit Libraries (Non-Print Works) Regulations 2013.
Contact information for the Legal Deposit Libraries and information about access to historic mapping can be obtained on our historical map archives page.
We have CCTV at our Adanac Park site for the prevention and detection of crime.
Ordnance Survey is in the process of enacting an ISO14001:2015 Environmental Management System.
In line with the Environmental Policy and Greening Government Commitments, Ordnance Survey will disclose its environmental and sustainability performance on this website in the near future.